Fungi in the News
- Great story of engaging the community in scientific exploration. 7th grade student in California makes significant contribution to fungal pathogen linked with AIDS-Related Deaths in California.
- "Death Dust" in the New Yorker - Story on the alarming increase in Valley Fever caused by the fungal pathogen Coccidioides spp.
- Fungal Meningitis Outbreak - NBC News story on the toll these infections have taken on patients. More information on this outbreak can also be found at the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/hai/outbreaks/meningitis.html
- "Hidden Killers: Human Fungal Infections" in Science Magazine December 2012 detailing the impact of these under studied infections on human health.
- "Attack of the Clones" by Kai Kupferschmidt in the Science Magazine (July, 2012). Fungi have long been seen as the least interesting pathogens, but two catastrophes in the animal world have changed that view. For details, please visit http://www.sciencemag.org/content/337/6095/636.full