Visiting 4th Year Elective Program
Announcement: Effective September 10, 2018 Geisel School of Medicine is no longer able to process requests from students at international schools for rotations at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center. 4th Year elective offerings are primarily available only to students matriculated at the Geisel School of Medicine. Students enrolled in other LCME (Liaison Committee on Medical Education) accredited schools will be considered, however, if space is available.
Dear Prospective Applicant:
You may access the current offerings of Geisel School electives.
Applications will be considered providing the student is/has:
- Enrolled in a medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- Fully matriculated and in good standing as verified by their medical school Dean's Office
- Successfully completed all prerequisite clinical core clerkships
- Covered with personal health and liability insurance
- Submitted the completed AAMC Standardized Immunization Form and the 2015 Geisel Polio Waiver Form.
- Submitted written proof that training in OSHA universal standards has been completed within 12 months of the start of the desired elective
- Submitted written proof of required 12 Panel Drug Screen (Amphetamine, Cocaine, Marijuana, Opiates, PCP, Methamphetamine, Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, Methadone, Propoxyphene, Oxycodone, Buprenorphine). The drug screen must be with-in 30 days of your elective start date.
- Submitted written proof of background check with-in the past two years.
Acceptance into an elective is based primarily on availability, with priority being given to Geisel Medical students. Your application will be handled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Completed applications on VSAS (Visiting Student Application Service) and the $200.00 processing fee (per elective) must be received in the Office of Student Affairs at least four weeks prior to your desired starting date for the elective. This fee is refundable only in the event that the elective requested is not available.
If you are interested in taking a sub-internship elective, please be sure to include a copy of your transcript and a letter of support from your dean with your application.
An increasing number of students are completing graduate and professional school programs across the country with a documented learning, physical, or psychological disability. If you are such a student, we are eager to work with you at Geisel in arranging the reasonable accommodations for you that have been approved at your own medical school, so that you will get the most out of your elective experience at Geisel. Please note that Geisel School of Medicine provides funding for reasonable accommodations for its own students when they participate in electives at other institutions. Our expectations is that funding for such accommodations will be the responsibility of the visiting student's home medical school, or the individual students. All requests for accommodations should be directed to Glenda Shoop, at (603) 650-1218.
For students who are looking for housing accommodations, please use the following link: https://rotatingroom.com/.
We would like to thank you for your interest in The Geisel School of Medicine clinical electives program. If you need further information, please feel free to contact me or my office.
Department of Clinical Education
Any questions or comments may be directed to:
Department of Clinical Education