Visiting 4th Year Elective Program
Posted August 7, 2020
Thank you for your interest in a clinical rotation at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center through the Geisel School of Medicine. Due to the ongoing pandemic, we are not accepting applications for in person visiting rotations and currently do not plan to host in person visiting students through the current academic year (through May 2021). We will post a notification on this site if and when we have a change in policy.
Dear Prospective Applicant:
Geisel School of Medicine’s annual elective catalog opens for review and will receive applications on March 1, 2019. The notification of application acceptances will begin on May 15, 2019.
Rotation start and end dates are fixed and cannot be changed.
Students may NOT contact individual course directors. In addition, due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we cannot take phone calls related to VSAS applications.
You may access the current offerings of Geisel School electives.
Applications will be considered providing the student is/has:
- Enrolled in a medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- Fully matriculated and in good standing as verified by their medical school Dean's Office
- Successfully completed all prerequisite clinical core clerkships
- Covered with personal health and liability insurance
- Submitted the completed AAMC Standardized Immunization Form and the 2015 Geisel Polio Waiver Form.
- Submitted written proof that training in OSHA universal standards has been completed within 12 months of the start of the desired elective
- Submitted written proof of required 12 Panel Drug Screen (Amphetamine, Cocaine, Marijuana, Opiates, PCP, Methamphetamine, Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, Methadone, Propoxyphene, Oxycodone, Buprenorphine). The drug screen must be with-in 30 days of your elective start date.
- Proof of National background check no older than 2 years.
Acceptance into an elective is based primarily on availability, with priority being given to Geisel Medical students. Your application will be handled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Completed applications on VSAS (Visiting Student Application Service) and the $200.00 non-refundable acceptance fee (per elective) must be received in the Office of Clinical Education at least one week prior to your desired starting date for the elective.
If you are interested in taking a sub-internship elective, please be sure to include a copy of your transcript and a letter of support from your dean with your application.
An increasing number of students are completing graduate and professional school programs across the country with a documented learning, physical, or psychological disability. If you are such a student, we are eager to work with you at Geisel in arranging the reasonable accommodations for you that have been approved at your own medical school, so that you will get the most out of your elective experience at Geisel. Please note that Geisel School of Medicine provides funding for reasonable accommodations for its own students when they participate in electives at other institutions. Our expectations is that funding for such accommodations will be the responsibility of the visiting student's home medical school, or the individual students. All requests for accommodations should be directed to William Eidtson, at (603) 650-1125.
For students who are looking for housing accommodations, please use the following link: https://rotatingroom.com/.
We would like to thank you for your interest in The Geisel School of Medicine clinical electives program. Please email Maghan.A.Porter@Dartmouth.edu with any questions you have. I will respond as quickly as possible. No phone calls, please.
The Clinical Education Office of Geisel School of Medicine does not have the resources necessary to process requests for International student rotations. If you would like to participate in an Authorized Observership at Dartmouth-Hitchcock, Please contact the Office of Graduate Medical Education
Department of Clinical Education