Assistance with USMLE (Medical Licensure Exams)
The Office for Learning Services assists students in their preparation for Steps 1 & 2 of the United States Medical Licensure Exam.
- Two presentations are offered to help each second-year class better understand Step 1.
- One session focuses on information about USMLE scores and their usage, the general format and scope of the exam, and timelines.
- The other focuses more on the nature of the test, tips for planning, and techniques for study.
- Often a panel of third-year students who have already completed Step 1 is made available to answer questions.
- Curriculum representatives, under the guidance of Ms. Trietley, arrange for a series of faculty review sessions in February and March of the second year (for Step 1).
- Ms. Trietley provides a sampler of recommended materials to help second-year students in their preparation.
- A half-day Step 1 mock exam, created by the NBME (National Board of Medical Examiners), is offered in the spring of each year for students who choose to participate.
- One-on-one sessions with Ms. Trietley are available to help students think through particular issues/concerns and make individual plans (for Step 1 and Step 2).
- Information—schedules, ppts, and MP3 recordings—related to preparing for Step 1 are posted on Blackboard » Organizations » Geisel School Academic Suport » USMLE Prep, beginning at the end of January.
- Ms. Trietley assists students with disabilities in the application procedure, which includes their requests for accommodation.
Return to Learning Services home page