“Let’s use our time and talents together towards a future in which where a patient lives doesn’t determine if they live.”
--Agnes Binagwaho, MD, PhD, former Minister of Health, Rwanda
Adjunct Professor of Pediatrics, Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
At Dartmouth’s Center for Health Equity, we’re passionate about creating a world in which all people have equitable access to high quality care and to the conditions that promote health. To achieve our vision, we engage students and faculty in interdisciplinary education, research, advocacy, and clinical opportunities, made possible by our strong relationships with domestic and international partners. With its distinctive approach, the center is enabling people from communities large and small to overcome barriers to care and to build a healthier future for themselves and their children.
What makes Dartmouth’s Center for Health Equity distinctive?
- We are bridging the gap between global and domestic health programs.
- We recognize the common challengesthat all medically underserved communities face, regardless of location.
- We are creating robust, durable relationships with a select group of domestic and international partners who work with medically underserved populations.
- We are cultivating future health leaderswho possess both a deep understanding of the social, political, economic, and behavioral factors that affect health and the know-how needed to create lasting change.
- We incorporate the humanities into global health experiences using techniques such as narratives in medicine to promote reflection, foster cultural humility, and promote empathyamong students.
- We provide a focal point for a growing networkof health professionals and individuals working in diverse disciplines and locations to address health disparities.
Read a Q&A with Dr. Lisa Adams, Director of the Center for Health Equity, Associate Dean for Global Health at the Geisel School, and Faculty Director of the Global Health Initiative at Dartmouth’s Dickey Center for International Understanding.
For more information on Dartmouth’s Center for Health Equity, contact Center.for.Health.Equity@Dartmouth.edu.