Michael E. Zegans, MD
Professor of Surgery
Professor of Microbiology and Immunology
Section Chief Ophthalmology
Francis A. L’Esperance, Jr., MD, Visual Sciences Scholar
Faculty Director, Health Professions Program, Dartmouth College
Microbiology and Immunology
F.I. Proctor Foundation, UCSF, Fellow in Cornea and Uveitis 1996-1998
University of Virginia, Resident in Ophthalmology, 1993-1996
University of California - San Francisco, Mt. Zion, Medical Internship 1992-1993
University of California - San Francisco School of Medicine, MD 1992
Wesleyan University, BA 1985
Molecular Pathogenesis Program
Section of Ophthalmology
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
Lebanon NH 03756
Asst. Phone: 603-650-6147
Clinical: Diseases of the cornea, ocular surface and uveitis
Surgical: Corneal transplantation, cataract surgery, conjunctival tumors
- Ocular microbiology, corneal infection and bacterial biofilm formation
- Effects of microgravity on the eye
1. Medical Student Research Training Fellow 1989-90 12 calendar
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
MHC-Class I Antigen Presentation
2. Continued Support Fellowship (Zegans) 1990-92 NA
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
3. Harmes Scholarship (Zegans) 2000-2003 NA Dartmouth Medical School (Surgery)
4. Hitchcock Foundation Award (Zegans) 2006-07 NA Hitchcock Foundation Inhibitors of Pseudomonas aeruginosa pilin processing
5. 5K08EY13977-4 (Zegans) 8/2002 –8/2007 9 calendar NIH/ NEI Biofilm Formation and P. aeruginosa infection of the eye
6. P20 RR16437 (Green, Director) 9/30/01-6/30/11 1.8 calendar NIHI/NCRR for pilot project Center for Molecular, Cellular, and Translational Immunology (COBRE Award)
7. AI068662-01A1(O’Toole) 9/19/07--8/31/09 3.6 calendar NIH/NIAID Zegans: key personnel
8. U10 EY015114-01A2 (Lietman) 10/2005-10/2010 1.2 calendar NIH/NEI TC for Dartmouth, Steroids for Corneal Ulcers Trial Zegans: Co- PI, Director Dartmouth study site
9. Hitchcock Foundation Pilot Grant (Zegans) 10/2012- 10/2013
Ocular surface microbiome of African children with and without ocular chlamydia infection in a trachoma-endemic area
10. U10EY016214 subaward 7260sc (Zegans) 9/12- 8/13
TANA II- Ocular surface microbiome of African children with and without ocular chlamydia infection in a trachoma-endemic area
11. NCRR 1P20RR030360-01(Taylor) 9/10-04/15 0.6 calendar
NIH-NCRR New Hampshire Idea Network of Biomedical Research Excellence Zegans: Research Mentor
12. 1U10EY018573 - 01A (Lietman) 8/09-8/16 1.2 calendar NIH/NEI
Mycotic Ulcer Treatment Trial Zegans: Co-PI
NIH12ZHA002C 2/13-2/16 0.9 calendar
13. NASA/EPSCoR Integrated Modeling of Microgravity-Induced Visual Changes
14. Norris Cotton Cancer Center (Zegans) 12/12-/6/16 0.6 calendar
Comparative Effectiveness Research
Interferon-Alpha 2b for the Treatment of Ocular Surface Squamous Neoplasia
1. NIH/NEI R21 EY02877-01 (Zegans) 4/18-4/20 0.15 calendar
Fungal virulence factors during corneal infections
2. MedImmune SRA (Zegans) 7/14-current
Anti-Ps1 mAbs / Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Collaboration (investigator initiated collaboration)
3. Zoster Eye Disease Study(ZEDS), NEI
Role: Co-PI, Steering Committee
Decoding the Uveitis Workup, American Academy of Ophthalmology Instructional Course. 2001-present
BIOL 071 - Current Topics in Cell Biology, Department of Biologic Sciences, Dartmouth College 2014
BIOL 070 - Biologic Lessons of the Eye, Department of Biologic Sciences, Dartmouth College 2016
BIOL 070 - Biologic Lessons of the Eye, Department of Biologic Sciences, Dartmouth College 2018
Patterns of Antifungal Resistance in Adult Patients With Fungal Keratitis in South India: A Post Hoc Analysis of 3 Randomized Clinical Trials.
Paradox of complex diversity: Challenges in the diagnosis and management of bacterial keratitis.
Sequential endogenous endophthalmitis, fungal keratitis, bacteremia and vertebral osteomyelitis in a person who injects drugs.
PRAME immunohistochemistry is useful in the evaluation of conjunctival melanomas, nevi, and primary acquired melanosis.
Multifunctional Monoclonal Antibody Targeting Pseudomonas aeruginosa Keratitis in Mice.
Oral Miltefosine as Salvage Therapy for Refractory Acanthamoeba Keratitis.
Infectious corneal ulceration: a proposal for neglected tropical disease status.
Clinical metagenomics for infectious corneal ulcers: Rags to riches?
Endogenous endophthalmitis and other ocular manifestations of injection drug use.
Natamycin and Voriconazole Exhibit Synergistic Interactions with Nonantifungal Ophthalmic Agents against Fusarium Species Ocular Isolates.