First-year medical and TDI students come together as a group each Fall to organize a service trip to be held during spring break, known as the Indian Health Service Trip (IHST). During this time, the students aspire to fulfill the following goals:
- To listen, observe, and begin to understand the health care and social issues facing Native communities through direct personal interactions.
- To provide meaningful community service, developed in collaboration with community leaders.
- To share what we learn by raising awareness of these issues among our colleagues and peers at Dartmouth.
During the course of the trip, students strive to learn more about Native American culture and Native health issues, while also providing direct service to the communities they visit. This consists of three parts:
- Part One - In preparation for the Spring Break Service Trip to the Bemidji Area, students will engage in discussions, articles, and speakers in order to gain insight into Native American culture and health systems. Pre-trip, students will attend and organize six seminars on American Indian health and culture.
- Part two - This consists of the seven-day service trip to American Indian communities in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin. As part of the trip, students will shadow medical practitioners, engage with members of tribal communities, and conduct service on one of six reservations.
- Part three - Students will organize a post-trip reflection, write a report, and present their community engagement work to the broader Dartmouth community.
For more information on our Minnesota partners, please click on their logos below:
To apply for the 2023 Minnesota Indian Health Service Trip, please complete this Application form. Applications are due by 11:59 pm on Wednesday, November 2nd, 2022.
- Indian Health Alliance - Bharat Maraj
- IHST, Empowering Hope - Shawn O'Leary
- IHST, American Indian Health Partnership
- IHST, American Indian Health - Diverse Communities
- 2013 IHST Blog - White Earth
- 2013 IHST Blog - Bois Forte
- 2012 IHST Blog
Indian Health Service Trip 2022
Indian Health Service Trip 2019
Indian Health Service Trip 2018
2018 IHST Student Reflections (Authentication required)
Indian Health Service Trip 2017
2017 IHST Student Reflections (Authentication required)
Indian Health Service Trip 2016
Indian Health Service Trip 2014
Indian Health Service Trip 2013
Indian Health Service Trip 2012
Indian Health Service Trip 2011
Indian Health Service Trip 2010
A special MIIGWECH to the Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine, the Byrne Foundation and the Ohiyesa fund for their generous financial support of the IHST. Their support has provided over two hundred Geisel medical and public health students the opportunity to learn and serve on the Bois Forte, Fond du Lac, Ho-Chunk, Leech Lake, Red Lake, and White Earth Indian communities.