The Continuous Quality Improvement -Medical Education Steering Committee (CQI-ME) is charged to review and assess all aspects of the Geisel medical education program and to offer recommendations to the relevant leaders and/or leadership groups in the school to ensure that the program fulfills our strategic goal of educational excellence. Through this ongoing process, the CQI-ME will ensure that the school meets or exceeds all accreditation standards established by the LCME. This Committee monitors and supports the implementation of continuous quality improvement processes that evaluate progress on short and long-term programmatic goals, result in the achievement of measurable outcomes that are used to improve educational program quality, and ensure effective monitoring of the medical education program at the Geisel School of Medicine.
The specific responsibilities of the CQI-ME are as follows:
- Ensure CQI methods are implemented across the medical education program to meet or exceed accreditation standards
- Review and monitor overall Geisel Medical Education program evaluation plan.
- Conduct cyclical review of all accreditation elements to ensure continued LCME Accreditation Compliance
- Establish reporting intervals for UME Leadership (e.g., Associate Deans and Directors) to the committee to effectively monitor ongoing progress toward desired strategic plan outcomes.
- Ensure findings and recommendations are shared with the appropriate institutional authorities and responsible groups or individuals (i.e. MEC, Associate Deans, etc). In consultation with the identified institutional authorities or responsible groups/individuals, develops timelines and milestones for response(s) to any recommendations.
- Ensure that the projects, programs, and initiatives developed to enhance the Medical Education Program support the school mission, vision, and goals as articulated in the strategic plan
- Propose updates to policies and guidelines as educational practices or accreditation requirements change over time.
The CQI-ME is authorized by the Dean to manage the CQI effort at Geisel that is designed to ensure continuous monitoring of all aspects of the medical education program at Geisel.
The CQI-ME reports to the Dean of the Geisel School of Medicine and provides summaries of its activities quarterly or more frequently as requested by the Dean.
Membership includes representation by faculty, staff, and students. Membership includes:
Senior Associate Dean for Medical Education (Chair)*
Dean of Geisel School of Medicine (ex officio)
Executive Dean for Finance & Administration
Dean of Faculty Affairs
Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs
Chair, Department of Medical Education
Chair of Faculty Council
Chair of Medical Education Committee
Chief of Staff, Geisel School of Medicine
Associate Dean for Admissions
Associate Dean of Basic Science Integration
Associate Dean for Clinical Education
Associate Dean of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Associate Dean of Evaluation and Assessment*
Associate Dean for Student Affairs*
Associate Dean for Preclinical Education
Previous Faculty Accreditation Lead and/or Current Faculty Accreditation Lead*
Senior Director of Administration & Finance
Director of Accreditation*
Director of Evaluation and Assessment*
Associate Director of Educational Technology*
Student representatives (1 Preclinical, 1 Clinical)
*Denotes members of the CQI-ME working group
The CQI-ME Steering Committee will meet quarterly. The CQI-ME working group will meet monthly to regularly monitor compliance with LCME standards/elements, update the CQI dashboard, and update action plans and outcome reports for quarterly CQI-ME meetings.
1.1 Strategic Planning and Continuous Quality Improvement: A medical school engages in ongoing strategic planning and continuous quality improvement processes that establish its short and long-term programmatic goals, result in the achievement of measurable outcomes that are used to improve educational program quality, and ensure effective monitoring of the medical education program’s compliance with accreditation standards.
Document Number: UME-CNTRL-
Date Effective: March 26, 2021
Authorized by: Geisel Dean
Written by: Geisel Dean
Approved by: Geisel Dean
Date Approved: March 26, 2021
Date Reviewed: March 26, 2021
Date Revised: N/A
Responsible Office: UME Affairs
Responsible Administrator: Director of Accreditation
William “Nick” Ryan, MPA
Director of Accreditation and Kern Program