New Hampshire Health Area Education Center (AHEC)
The recently funded New Hampshire AHEC program represents a partnership between the state of New Hampshire, Dartmouth Medical School, the University of New Hampshire, New Hampshire Technical Institute, and federally designated Community Health Centers in Raymond and Littleton, New Hampshire. This partnership builds on the existing set of programs and activities that support the AHEC mission but lack the infrastructure to provide a fully coordinated and comprehensive approach to meeting primary care education needs in the state.
AHEC programs are targeted to health professions students, health professionals in practice and the general population. The goal of the program is to attract high quality primary care health providers to underserved communities, to meet their needs for educational support and, ultimately, to ensure that they maintain a long successful tenure in their community.
- Enhance and develop additional community based training sites in underserved and rural areas
- Develop additional community faculty and new curriculum
- Place health professions students and residents in underserved settings for training
- Offer educational programs and resources for health professionals and the general public
- Establish health careers awareness programs for minority and disadvantaged high school and college students
- Enhance linkages between communities and academic health centers through computer networks and an information and library system