The Psychiatry Service provides 24-hour diagnostic and therapeutic treatment for all acute psychiatric problems with the basic goal of attaining safety and stabilization. Therapy modalities are primarily medication and group therapy, and arrangements for appropriate follow-up care.
A multidisciplinary treatment team composed of various mental health professionals, including two attending physicians, address the multiple needs of each patient with continuous monitoring, assessment, and documentation of patient condition and response to treatment. A continuous range of services—including inpatient, partial, and intensive outpatient—are available in the same location.
Disorders addressed include:
- Psychotic Disorders
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Dual Diagnosis Abuse Disorders
- Other Behavioral Disorders
Individual care and support
On the Inpatient Psychiatry Service, treatment programs are designed with goals and solutions in mind. Patients practice the skills they need through a paired program of groups occurring throughout the day and evening, seven days a week.
- A variety of innovative treatment programs, which teach patients the skills they need to make lasting changes in their lives.
- A professional interdisciplinary treatment team that provides quality, expert care.
- The strong resources of a major academic center, which include the latest in treatment methods, research, and education.
Programs meet a wide range of functioning levels and psychiatric illnesses. Individual treatment modules allow patients to focus on issues specific to their situations. Groups are offered in a supportive atmosphere with similar focus on topics relevant to the patients' situations.
- Comprehensive psychological and diagnostic—as well as neuropsychiatric—assessments.
- Psychiatric medical treatment including psychopharmacology.
- Treatment tracks designed to meet the needs of the older adult, adults with eating disorders, and other special needs.
- Twenty-four hour nursing care and availability of a full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services including on-site emergency services.
The road to recovery starts at admission when patients begin to design the strategies they will use to manage their symptoms and prevent future setbacks.
- Ease of access through the Inpatient Psychiatry Access Office (603-650-7500) for a smooth admission to the service.
- Patient Care Managers assure individualized comprehensive and coordinated care for each patient.
- Family and provider involvement in treatment planning increases the chances of success after discharge.
- Care is coordinated with outpatient providers to ensure continuity of treatment.