- PEMM 101 - Scientific Basis of Disease I (Fall)
- PEMM 102 - Scientific Basis of Disease II (Winter)
- PEMM 141,142,143 - Research Rotations (three to be completed within nine months)
- UNSG 100/PEMM 124 - Ethical and Responsible Conduct of Research (UNSG 100 for Fall term and PEMM 124 for Winter Term)
- Elective course(s) - (Spring term, see below)
Students will select a laboratory for their thesis research by the end of the first year (June 1).
- PEMM 297, 298, 299 (1 - 3 credits respectively; 3 credits is full time). Thesis Research in the PEMM program
- Attendance and participation in weekly journal clubs, research-in-progress, and related seminars.
ELECTIVES: All students are required to complete 4 elective course equivalents (note several courses are equivalent to 2 electives). The primary electives should be in the area of the anticipated thesis research. There are many other elective courses offered within PEMM or other programs and departments within the College. An outline of the plan for electives must be developed with the selected thesis advisor and advisory committee.
The following courses represent the primary electives within each research area.
- PEMM 271 - Advanced Biomedical Sciences (2 course equivalent)
Cancer Biology & Molecular Therapeutics
- PEMM 126 - Cancer Biology
- PEMM 275 - Cardiovascular Diseases
Molecular Pharmacology, Toxicology & Experimental Therapeutics
- PEMM 131 - Current Approaches in Experimental Therapeutics
- PEMM 115 - DMS Year 1 Neuroscience course with supplemental experimental neuroscience section (2 course equivalent)