Migration Preparation Tasks
- Know your NetID. Use 'NetID Lookup' (on the left) to find your new login ID.
- Check the folder names in your BlitzMail account to ensure there are no folder names with "special characters." All non-alphanumeric characters should be removed; spaces are fine. If a folder name contains a special character, the messages in that folder will not migrate.
- Check the folder names in your BlitzMail account to ensure there are no folders named just "notes," "contacts", or "drafts". If a folder is named "Notes" or "Contacts," it will be moved to an obscure location in the new system; we are recommending that you rename it now. If a folder is named "Drafts", it will not migrate. Folders whose names include the word "notes," "contacts" or "drafts" with other words -- e.g., "Meeting Notes" -- are fine.
- Remove large attachments (greater than 35 MB - 35,000K) from messages. Any message with an attachment larger than 35MB will NOT migrate. Save any attachments greater than 35MB to your hard drive if you need to keep them.
- Review Trash, Spam and Snapshots. Snapshots, drafts, messages in Trash, and messages in your spam folder will NOT be migrated. Review the messages in these categories to ensure you do not need them.
- Sign up for Training. You may sign up ahead of time for one Dartmouth's Outlook Training classes - https://library.dartmouth.edu/classes/calendar.php?MAIN_CALENDAR_ID=241.
- Watch our Video Previews. You will not be able to log into or look at the new system until your account has migrated. Since everyone will start out in the webmail version of new Blitz, we recommend you watch our series of short videos about BWA to preview what you will see after your account has migrated.
- Look at our Web Page Tutorials. If you will eventually be using Outlook 2010 (windows), Outlook 2011 (Mac), or Apple Mail and iCal (Mac), you can review the tutorial to preview what you will experience. (Note: These are NOT the only email clients that can be used with new Blitz.)