For Release: May 31, 2013
Contact: Derik Hertel, 603-650-1211 or email@example.com
Geisel School of Medicine Introduces Newest Members of Academy of Master Educators
Hanover, N.H.—Nine new members of the Geisel School of Medicine's prestigious Academy of Master Educators were introduced during Dean Wiley "Chip" Souba's annual State of the Medical School address on Thursday, May 30, 2013.
Members of this distinguished group were nominated by their fellow Geisel School of Medicine faculty because of their demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching and medical education. Academy members are leaders in medical education innovation at the Geisel School of Medicine, educating students and residents, advising Dean Souba and Senior Associate Dean for Medical Education Rich Simons, and raising the overall quality of education by mentoring faculty and residents in their quest to become better teachers.
"I am continuously amazed and impressed by the quality and dedication of our faculty," said Souba. "Learning is at the core of what we stand for at Geisel and our Master Educators are recognized for their teaching excellence. I am grateful for their service and leadership."
During the program, the nine new Master Educators were introduced by their current and former students. Each of the students related personal stories about how the faculty members had helped and inspired them.
Introducing new Academy member Dr. Petra Lewis, Jessica Fried '14 said of her educator and mentor. "She has opened a world I never imagined myself in and we are truly lucky to have her here at Geisel."
Kristen Orloff '14 said that new Academy member Dr. Richard Comi amazed her with his passion for this work. "His dedication to teaching will ensure that there are more happy, healthy physicians."
The newest members of the Academy of Master Educators (and who they were introduced by) are:
- Petra J. Lewis, MBBS, Professor of Radiology, and of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Jessica Fried '14)
- Richard J. Comi, MD, Professor of Medicine (Kristin Orloff '14)
- Nancy E. Cochran, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine (Rex Atwood '15)
- Robert A. Maue, PhD, Professor of Physiology & Neurobiology, and Biochemistry (Aravind Viswanathan '16)
- Morris Levin, MD, Professor of Neurology, and Psychiatry (Alendia Hartshorn)
- Kenneth W. Burchard, MD, Professor of Surgery, and Anesthesiology (Chris Worsham '13)
- Jonathan M. Ross, MD, Professor of Medicine, and of Community & Family Medicine (Clint Orloski '13)
- Cathleen E. Morrow, MD, Associate professor of Community & Family Medicine (Emma Wright '14 & Holly Schroeder '13)
- Dean R. Madden, PhD, Associate Director, Dartmouth Lung Biology Center, Professor of Biochemistry (Rachel Brickman '16)
The Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, founded in 1797, strives to improve the lives of the communities it serves through excellence in learning, discovery, and healing. The nation's fourth-oldest medical school, the Geisel School of Medicine has been home to many firsts in medical education, research and practice, including the discovery of the mechanism for how light resets biological clocks, creating the first multispecialty intensive care unit, the first comprehensive examination of U.S. health care variations (The Dartmouth Atlas), and helping establish the first Center for Health Care Delivery Science, which launched in 2010. As one of America's top medical schools, Dartmouth's Geisel School of Medicine is committed to training new generations of diverse health care leaders who will help solve our most vexing challenges in health care.
# # #