2012-2013 Fellowship Application
Awarded by the Dartmouth International Health Group and supported jointly by the DMS Dean’s Office and the Dickey Center
DIHG-DICKEY International Health Fellowships are designed to promote the DIHG Mission. The international health experience that you are applying for should be more than a clinical exposure or a basic research project in an international setting. It should be an educational, eye-opening, cross-cultural experience in which you attempt to make a beneficial and lasting contribution to those with whom you work. To that end, fellowship electives/experiences should include one or more of the Fellowship Guidelines below.
- Hands on community development
- Public health or patient education
- Involvement in the delivery and assessment of clinical care in the developing world (3rd and 4th year students only—note clinical work is not a requirement). Pre-clinical students are encouraged to participate at some level in clinical care, but that should not be the principal focus of their experience.
- Gathering information that is required for planning or evaluating health services or assessing the distribution of disease and the factors that influence that distribution.
In reviewing Fellowship applications, electives/experiences will be ranked in part on what the student hopes to leave behind that will be of value to the people served; this service element is a requirement of all projects.
Things You Should Know
- DIHG doesn't fund retroactively.
- DIHG complies with the official travel policy of Dartmouth in that it does not fund travel to any country on the State Department's travel warning list. In "extraordinary circumstances," the Provost may grant an exception based on an appeal.
In the past, successful applicants have been those who:
- spend 4 to 6 weeks (minimum of 4 weeks) in an international health elective/experience
- demonstrate interest in international and community health
- develop a proposal for a service or research project in a foreign country
(the DIHG fellowship will not fund required clinical clerkships in a foreign country)
- demonstrate knowledge of and cultural competence for the proposed placement site
- identify both a DMS faculty advisor/sponsor and a foreign-site supervisor/sponsor
- receive approval from the Registrar (if a 3rd or 4th year student and expecting to receive academic credit)
- submit a completed application electronically to Linda Martin by October 5, 2012 for projects during the fall, winter, and spring and by March 1, 2013 for consideration for projects during the summer and fall of 2013
Upon their return, Fellows will be expected to:
- attend a debriefing meeting with their DMS faculty advisor/sponsor
- collaborate with their DMS faculty advisor/sponsor in developing and submitting a 3-5 page written report of their elective/experience
- prepare a presentation (with PowerPoints) of their elective/experience for DIHG presentation night
- write a brief one paragraph synopsis of their experience for the DIHG website
Applicants will be notified of the reviewers' decisions 3 to 4 weeks after proposals are due. This year, at least six Fellowships of approximately $1,500 will be competitively awarded to enrolled DMS medical students. For further information contact:
Linda Martin, DIHG
Office of Student Affairs
Dartmouth Medical School
Hanover, New Hampshire 03755
Telephone: (603) 650-1755
(Note: incomplete information regarding logistics should not prevent applicant from submitting application on time)
- Personal Information complete
- Emergency Contact Information complete
- Past International Health Experience complete
- Proposed International Elective / Experience complete
(this section should fully outline your proposed international experience; it should also indicate the name of your DMS Faculty Sponsor as well as your Foreign Site Sponsor)
- Budget information complete
- Discussion Questions complete
- DMS Faculty Sponsor's Statement complete—by Sponsor (important: make sure that your DMS Faculty Sponsor has been given a copy of the sheet entitled "Responsibilities of DMS Faculty Advisor/Sponsor")
- Foreign Site Sponsor's Statement complete—by Sponsor
- Registrar-approved elective application, if applicable (3rd and 4th year students)