FACULTY: Two-thirds community-based; one-third DHMC campus-based.
MEDICAL STUDENTS: (Required Courses)
- On Doctoring: A Longitudinal Clinical Experience (LCE) Years I&II (4 hours per week throughout)
- Epidemiology/Biostatistics Year I - 36 hours
- Family Practice Clerkship Year III - 8 weeks
- Health, Society and the Physician Year IV - 5 weeks (60% time)
- Maine-Dartmouth Family Practice Residency - Augusta/Waterville (31 residents, 3 Geriatric Fellows and 2 Sports Medicine Fellows)
- New Hampshire-Dartmouth Family Practice Residencies (24 residents and 6 Preventive Medicine Residents)
- DHMC Leadership Preventive Medicine Residency (24)
- New Hampshire Area Health Education Center
- Dartmouth Primary Care Cooperative Project (Dartmouth COOP): An effective and productive alliance for coordinated primary care research /teaching throughout Northern New England
- Office of Community-Based Research and Education (OCER): Regional Workshops and Technical Assistance
JOINT DEGREE PROGRAMS
- MPH, MS, PhD with Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice
- MD/MBA, MPH/MBA, Clinical Fellows/MBA, PhD/MBA with Tuck School of Business
- PhD in Quantitative Biological Sciences with Genetics
2008 - 2009 Annual Sponsored Activities Budget $38.5 Million (Direct Costs only). Includes awards either administered by C&FM or for which PI's primary appointment is in C&FM.
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics (joint with Cancer Center, Environmental Studies and other clinical departments)
- Primary Care Research (including Prevention, Aging, and Medical Home development)
- Mental Health Services Research (joint with Psychiatry)
- Interactive Media Lab
- Nursing Research
- Health Services Research/Outcomes (joint with Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice)
- Primary care provided under Dartmouth Hitchcock Clinic: Family Medicine, Geriatrics, Women's Health, Sports Medicine
- Primary care provided by community-based faculty throughout Northern New England.
- Administrative Leadership and staffing of Dartmouth Hitchcock Regional Primary Care Center
- Family Medicine Clerkship - ranked by students as one of the best Dartmouth Medical School required clerkship experiences for over ten years.
- As a group, DMS students' scores are higher in the field of Preventive Medicine (National Boards, Part II) than in any other field.
- Largest sponsored research budget of any such department in the nation.
- Ten department faculty (full and part-time) have been elected to membership in the National Academy of Science's Institute of Medicine (Batalden, Daulaire, Dietrich, Fisher, Jemison, Koop, Rosenthal, Skinner, Wennberg, Zubkoff)
Department cited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education as "an outstanding example of excellence in academic pursuits and community-based teaching, made all the more prominent by its wide ranging nationally recognized research programs...a resource for faculty from other sectors of the Medical School."